From the dramatic landscapes and red dirt of Central Australia to the tropical reserves and largely undeveloped coastline of the Top End, the Northern Territory is the perfect backdrop for unique and engaging adventure experiences.
Tourism NT is working with industry to help grow this tourism market and attract even more holiday makers to the Territory.
The Northern Territory Government released a Mountain Biking master plan to establish mountain biking (MTB) as an important recreational, social and economic resource for Territory communities. The master plan identifies the commercial and social opportunities that will help establish the Northern Territory and Alice Springs as a MTB destination of international standing.
Developed collaboratively by government agencies, land managers, the tourism industry and community groups, the master plan sets out an integrated approach for developing MTB by public and private partners. The plan provides five major strategies to maximise the appeal of MTB in the Northern Territory to a range of markets:
- development of Alice Springs as the NT's iconic MTB hub
- investigation of a number of distinctive, world class adventure rides in the NT's iconic landscapes
- development of additional MTB destinations in the NT, including Darwin, Kakadu National Park, Katherine and Nitmiluk National Park
- promotion of improved MTB opportunities as part of Tourism NT's brand and visitor marketing activities
- develop MTB governance and trail management arrangements to guide implementation of the master plan and sustainable development and management of each trail network.
For more information download the master plan.
A Mountain Bike progress report was published to review and support the implementation of the master plan for Mountain Biking in the NT. The report card outlines achievements against the Master Plan's strategic goals and sets out future plans. Download the Report Card.
For further information regarding the adventure sector please contact [email protected].