Click here to view the Freedom of Information and Privacy Information.
About Our Organisation
Tourism NT was established under the Tourism NT Act on 12 April 2006.
Tourism NT’s charter includes:
- encouraging and fostering inside and outside the Territory, the development of tourism in the Territory
- assisting in the achievement of efficient tourism service delivery in the Territory and to encourage tourism investment in the Territory.
Tourism NT Operations
Territory Discoveries is the commercial or wholesaling business division of Tourism NT. Commercial operations include the sale of holiday packages through the NT Holiday Centre and operations of Territory Discoveries.
Tourism NT’s corporate operations include marketing, corporate services, tourism development and business development. Tourism NT operations and Territory Discoveries are committed to the responsible use of personal information and the preservation of privacy.
- Tourism NT Act
- Information Act 2
- Northern Territory Tourist Commission Enterprise Agreement 2004
- Northern Territory Government Records and Archives Management Standards
- Financial Management Act
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries observe the rights of all clients to have their personal information collected, used, stored and managed in compliance with the National Privacy Principles, where applicable and Information Privacy Principles as outlined in the Information Act.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries agree to protect such information from unauthorised access and disclosure. Such information is held under prescribed legislative timeframes, for business needs, historical and cultural reasons associated with the function for which it is collected.
What is Personal Information?
Personal Information is any information a public sector organisation holds from which a person’s identity is apparent or is reasonably able to be ascertained.
In line with the Information Act and as necessary, National Privacy Principles, Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries ensure:
- individuals are aware they are collecting personal information about them
- the purposes for which they are collecting information
- that personal information collected, used and disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date
- to disclose whom they may pass the information on to.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries generally collects, holds, uses and discloses three types of personal information:
- on consumers provided to the organisation by the individual, a third party, such as a travel agent, or from a marketing organisation. Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries endeavour to seek the consent (express or implied) of the individual or their agent to collect, hold and use this information.
- on travel partners. Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries endeavour to seek the consent (express or implied) of the individual or their representative company to collect, hold, use and disclose this information. This information may be disclosed to Tourism NT’s and Territory Discoveries’ tourism partners.
- relating to the employment, development and management of departmental personnel.
The amount of information Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries collects depends on the service or request that is being provided to an individual. For example, if someone is making a general enquiry about travel information they have the option to remain anonymous. For someone making a travel booking further personal details would be necessary to facilitate that service, to communicate travel details (at times to 3rd parties, i.e. airlines, railway operators) and receive payment for services.
2. Use of Information
Information collected by Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries is only that related to core functions and activities.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries may use personal information to contact the individual for direct marketing or market research purposes. To conduct these activities information may be exchanged between Tourism NT Operations and Territory Discoveries. Information may also be exchanged from Territory Discoveries to Tourism NT Operations to facilitate similar activities.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries generally collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- to conduct marketing activities and to conduct market research
- internal accounting and administration
- helping Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries to provide a service such as the booking of a holiday or package and inform consumers about other products or services that may be of benefit
- regulatory reporting and compliance
- from information gathered by online users, develop web pages and improve site content.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will also prominently provide a notice in each communication specifying how an individual can request to discontinue future direct marketing or market research communications.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries may use personal information for statistical purposes. Statistics compiled from personal information may be made public, however no information enabling identification of any individual will be included in such statistical material.
Personal information may be shared between Tourism NT commercial and corporate offices located both nationally and overseas. In the instance this occurs, all parties privy to this information will manage it in line with the strict policies Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries enforce.
If a person or business agrees to accept a good and or service from Tourism NT or Territory Discoveries, requiring to pay in return money or a fee, failure to repay the necessary money will result in their names and personal details being passed on to the Finance and Audit Committee and may then be passed on to an appropriate authority for recovery of that money.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will not disclose personal information for any reason other than the above situations without sufficient consent, unless disclosure is to prevent a threat to life or serious illness, required to do so by law or for investigation proceedings of suspected unlawful activity.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries maintain procedures and standards and take all reasonable steps to prevent unauthorised access to and modification or disclosure of personal information.
Only authorised users can access personal information, and access it only for approved purposes.
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will also take reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse and loss.
Personal information is kept only for as long as it is needed. When personal information is no longer needed for the purpose it was originally collected, it will either be destroyed or permanently de-identified.
4. Openness Access and Correction
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will allow individuals to view a copy of any personal information held by the organisation, unless exempt under the Information Act and will allow an individual to make an application to change or update this information, if necessary.
Any application to access personal information held by Tourism NT or Territory Discoveries must be made in writing. The process of application can be found on the website for the Office of the Information Commissioner, or by contacting the Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries Information Officer:
GPO Box 1155
DARWIN NT 0801
Telephone: 08 8999 3900
Facsimile: 08 8999 3888
Requests to access or correct personal information can be processed once the following information has been provided:
- Photographic identification, drivers’ license, passport, student identification card or any other official issued identification. Must be current. The person accepting the application will inspect the identification: a copy will not be made.
- Name, address, day time contact telephone number (to establish how to contact the applicant with a response, and to confirm their identity).
- Details of the information request (to clarify the nature of the enquiry allowing a thorough and proper search to be conducted).
- Date of request (to ensure a response is made within the prescribed timeframe as set out in the Information Act).
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will respond to such applications in accordance with the Information Act (NT).
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will also be required annually to submit a detailed report to the Minister for Tourism on Privacy operations in accordance with reporting requirements under the Information Act.
5. Changes to this Privacy Statement
This policy will be periodically updated as law and business requirements change under the direction of Tourism NT's Chief Executive.
To view up-to-date policies visit the Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries websites:
6. Online Privacy Issues
This section of the policy relates to information specific to websites operated by Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries.
6.1 Online Collection of Personal Data
Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries will collect personal information from websites they operate, for example, where users register for subscriptions to eNewsletters.
This will be used to provide the relevant service and in other ways described in this policy.
Other information may be collected when a user accesses a site managed by Tourism NT or Territory Discoveries, some of which is personal information, for purposes such as customising Web Pages and site content. This information will include the identity of the users Internet browser, the users type of operating system, their IP address, the domain name of their Internet Service Provider, the pages they accessed and down loaded, date and time of visit to the site and the address of the last site they visited.
This information may then be used for reporting processes. All personal identifiable characteristics are removed and the data is used to examine Internet trends to assist Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries in improving their websites. The data may be given to third parties such as marketing companies, however, they are not able to identify individuals from these statistics.
6.2 Log Files
IP addresses are used to analyse trends, administer the site, track users’ movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
Aggregated demographic data may be shared with travel partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
6.4 Web Cookies
Some sites managed by Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries contain links to third party websites. Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries are not responsible for the privacy practices of those linked sites. If users have any concerns with those linked sites, Tourism NT and Territory Discoveries suggest you contact the operator of that site.
6.6 Promotional E-mails
If users receive promotional e-mail from Tourism NT or Territory Discoveries and no longer wish to receive this information, a request should be e-mailed to the site. There is also the option for users to cancel subscriptions themselves online.