Darwin City will be transformed into a green, welcoming, interactive space under a new Masterplan.
The Darwin Civic and State Square Masterplan is a key component of the $200 million Darwin City Deal
, a partnership between the NT Government, Australian Government and City of Darwin.
Concept images of the redevelopment show the new planned precinct will provide an extensive community and event space that links the Waterfront with the City, creating an activated and lively place for all.
A tropical, green, cool and shaded oasis within the city and a place for events, festivals, gatherings and displays.
Key highlights of the Masterplan include:
• Large, flexible, shaded lawns capable of holding up to 7000 people;
• A signature Art Gallery showcasing the Territory’s significant art collections;
• An expressive Central Heart, featuring a large, vortex shaped shade structure;
• A Billabong Garden adjacent to the proposed Art Gallery site;
• A lively café space with room for displays, pop-ups and stalls;
• An extensive, interactive water feature;
• Atmospheric star-like lighting in the evening;
• A playful water wall that, when illuminated, becomes a blank canvas;
• Pedestrian tropical walks and sheltered walkways; and
• Shaded and sculptural gardens providing a backdrop for Aboriginal sculptures.
Find out more about the Darwin Civic and State Square Masterplan here.